[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V12 #340

>------------------------------
>
>Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 11:13:24 -0600
>From: Dilip Ladhani <email @ redacted>
>Subject: [IP] Tingling in my left foot
>
>.... Starting just a few days ago, I have been feeling a tingling
>feeling on the
>left side of my left foot. It is on the left side only, more towards the
>back. When I scratch it, it feels better. I usually walk on the treadmill
>5-6 times a week. It may be my misconception, but I hardly feel it during
>the day or after my walk. I feel it more at night, like more so in the
>middle of the night and when I wake up in the morning. It's not very
>severe, yet it is there

Dilip,

This sounds to me like the beginnings of peripheral neuropathy.  I
was diagnosed as a T2 in 1980, but in 2007 a C-peptide test showed
that I am completely dependent on exogenous insulin, much like a T1
is.

About a year ago I began to experience intense itching on my left
ankle and foot.  A week or so later the itching gave way to sharp
pains under the skin.  They were bad enough to interfere with my
sleep.  Now the other foot sometimes has similar itching and pain,
though less severe.

My doctor thought this might be due to diabetic peripheral
neuropathy.  He prescribed  Triamcinolone Acetonide Cream USP, 0.1%
(available only by prescription) to relieve the itching and pain.  I
have found this to be remarkably effective.

When I begin to feel the itching-skin sensation that precedes the
more severe pain, I apply the cream sparingly to my ankles, heels,
and the top of my feet, rubbing it in until it seems almost gone .  I
was astonished at how quickly the cream relieved the itching and the
pain (just a few hours) and how well its occasional use prevents them
from recurring for a week or two.

My doctor originally told me to apply the cream once or twice a day,
warning me not to keep using it for more than a month because its
steroid content could degrade the skin.  I soon discovered that once
every week or two is adequate to prevent the itching and pain without
any bad effects on my skin.  To prolong the time between
applications, I try to avoid daily washing of the affected area with
soap.

Mel Halbert