RE: [IP] Re: Bubbles in Reservoir

You can treat the reservoir like an empty one.. Disconnect the tubing from
the set. , rewind the pump. Remove the reservoir.
Put the plunger into the reservoir. Now pull back on the plunger until the
insulin empties from the tubing. Now pull the plunger all the way back to
the maximum point on the reservoir. Put the vial adapter on to the reservoir
and connect the vial. Hold the vial upright, vertical to the ground, push
the air from the reservoir into the vial, stop at the insulin line , so not
much of the insulin will go back into the vial. Check the reservoir to see
if all the air bubbles are gone.
You should now have a full reservoir. Now connect the tubing to the
reservoir, push the plunger until a squirt of insulin comes out of the
connector for the cannula. Now put the reservoir into the pump. Prime the
pump until a small drop of insulin comes out of the connector for the
cannula. Now connect to the cannula and you have a full reservoir.

This can also be done without filling the reservoir:
Disconnect the tubing from the set. Rewind the pump. Remove the reservoir
from the pump.
Put the plunger into the reservoir. Now pull back on the plunger until the
insulin empties from the tubing. Disconnect the tubing from the reservoir.
Put the vial adapter on the reservoir. Push the plunger until all air is
expended from the reservoir, you should see a small drop of insulin come
from the needle in the adapter. Disconnect the adapter from the reservoir.
Connect the tubing. Push the plunger until a drop of insulin comes from the
connector that connects to the cannula. Now put the reservoir into the pump.
Prime the pump until you see a drop of insulin come from the connector that
goes to the cannula- This will take a little more time than the normal full
reservoir.  Connect the cannula to the tubing. After doing the prime the
pump should show 0 in the window, press the esc button twice and make sure
the pump is in operating condition. You do not have to do a fixed prime for
the cannula because you never changed it.

John S Wilkinson
Rome, NY