Re: [IP] A1c/iron question

At 08:41 PM 1/21/2007, you wrote:
>Apparently in people with and without diabetes, iron deficiency
>anemia is associated with higher a1c and iron supplementation leads
>to lower a1c.

This is a reply to an order message, but I want to thank Stacey for
posting those links.

I saw my CDE on Monday and mentioned the fact that I had been
deferred from donating blood several times.  She said, "Oh yeah,
you've been slightly anemic for awhile but it doesn't worry
me".  Well, it still would have been nice if she had told me.  She
looked through my file and said my numbers started to go down in 2005.

I was nervous about getting my A1c result because of this (my
previous one was 6.4, and I think maybe 6.3 before that) but was
pleasantly surprised with a 6.0.  If being slightly anemic is
affecting my A1c then I'm doing even better than I thought.  I had
taken an iron supplement for a couple of weeks but then got
constipated, so I haven't taken it for awhile.

She gave me a lab form to have tests done before my next appointment
in April and all of my levels will be checked again then.

--
Liz
Type 1 dx 4/1987