Re: [IP] FW: basal adjustments

At 06:11 PM 1/31/2007, you wrote:
>  I've been on the pump 2 months now...and my doctor has done all my
> adjustments.
>He will have me write my BG for a couple of weeks and then fax it to
>his office.
>Then the nurse will call me with any changes to my basal or carb
>ratios. I don't
>feel comfortable in changing that stuff myself...at least not now
>and my doctor
>doesn't encourage it. I'd love to hear from others who are changing their own
>ratios themselves.

I didn't change anything myself for the first 3 months.  I was
constantly e-mailing my CDE to complain about my numbers, and she
would tell me what to change.  I was running high a lot in the
beginning and it was driving me crazy, and I didn't think she was
being aggressive enough in making changes so I finally started to do
them myself. I did go overboard and I know I ended up setting some
too high, but I was still pretty new at it.  She yelled at me a lot
in the beginning.

I just saw her on Monday and she looked at my settings on the pump
and compared them to what she had written in my file from the last
visit.  She said that she wished all of her patients knew how to make
changes on their own, so I guess she (and I) are both much happier
with the way I do things now.

The key is to not change too many things at once and to give each
change a couple of days at least to see how it works.  I now will
actually listen to her suggestions, when in the past I would block
her out because I felt she was wrong.  This visit she said I should
change my insulin:carb ratio for lunch to 1:30 (it was 1:28...
maybe...) and I did it without arguing, because I had been going
low.  That's worked out great.  She also suggested I change my dinner
ratio but I know she wasn't looking at my most recent entries, so I
left that alone.  My 2 hours post-dinner numbers have been good but
then my BG rises and 3-4 hours later I'm going higher.  That's
without changing the types of food I eat, so I know that I will have
to increase a basal rate.

If you make any changes on your own, just test frequently and write
down everything you changed.  Eventually you should start to do it
all (mostly) yourself.

--
Liz
Type 1 dx 4/1987