Re: [IP] Parents & Children with Type 1

> Sarah Asked:
>  I have been Type 1 since I was 5 years old. I am now 26 and thinking of
> having
> children. Has there been a study on how many children have gotten type 1 if
> one
> of there parents have it?

i too worried for a while about possibly passing the big D on to my future
children (none yet, thankfully, but i hope to have some someday)...  and
yes, my genes carry an increased risk for type 1 diabetes, and given the
recent diagnosis of hypoparathyroidism, probably other autoimmune
problems....  but my genes also likely carry tendencies towards higher
intelligence and possibly other "desirable" traits....  there are no
guarantees in genetics....  no one on either side of my family has any
history of type 1 diabetes but i got it anyway....  even if the statistics
are on the side of my kids NOT getting type 1, they could anyway...
statistics are about likelihood, but unlikely things happen all the
time....  my decision to have children (or not) will be based on my
confidence in being able to provide them with a loving, stable home
independent (to the degree that i am capable) of whatever "weird-sh*t"
life sends our way...

doesn't exactly answer the question, but it's my "position" on the
subject....  ;)

-jess

---
Jessica Marder