[IP] Parents & Children with Type 1

Sarah Asked:
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 16:42:03 GMT
From: "email @ redacted" <email @ redacted>
Subject: [IP] Parents & Children with Type 1

Hello,
I am sure this has been asked before but I will ask again.
 I have been Type 1 since I was 5 years old. I am now 26 and thinking of
having
children. Has there been a study on how many children have gotten type 1 if
one
of there parents have it?

Sarah Roscoe
Sharon Replied
In the March 2005 issue of the Diabetes Forecast, Ake Lernmark, PhD wrote an
article entitled Mom's Antibodies A Risk for Type 1.
I have two children that were tested for the diabetes antibodies and were
found not to have any signs of diabetes. My sister is also Type 1 and has two
children, no signs of diabetes. We don't have any known record of diabetes in
our ancestors. I have a friend with twin boys, one child has diabetes and the
other child does not.
To me, if my children develop diabetes, I will deal with it as my parents have
done with my sister and I. For myself, People with diabetes seem to have
things better these days as compared to when I was diagnosed in the late
'70's.
Best wishes, having babies can be easy as long as you take good care of the
precious cargo and yourself! Sharon B. and Buckwheat