[IP] Help! air bubbles in Inset Infusion Sets

Help! We just started using the inset infusion sets a week ago and my son's
blood sugars have been wildly erratic.  He's had several blood glucose
readings of close to 500 the last few days, yet when I check the bolus history
it indicates that he received his entire bolus (he's using the Animas 1200).
There's been no occlusion alarms, no crimped cannulas, and no illness to
account for the high blood sugars. I know I haven't been that far off in
counting his carbs. I've wracked my brain for anything that could cause the
sudden highs. We did go from a 13 mm cannula (tender mini) to a 6 mm cannula
on the inset, but I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

Tonight I saw what looked like several very large air bubbles in the inset
tubing so I believe that's the cause of our problems. My son loves the insets
and so do I so I'm very disappointed. I don't want to stop using them. I'm
hoping this is a technique problem and someone can help me. I changed the
infusion set, same problem happened. I use room temperature insulin when
filling the cartridge, all the connections are tight, and there are no air
bubbles in the cartridge that I can see, but still there are large air bubbles
in the tubing. If someone has an idea on how to solve this problem I would be
forever indebted. These are the first infusion sets my son won't cry over when
they're inserted. They've really helped reduce my stress level and I don't
want to have to stop using them.

Lisa