RE: [IP] Horns of a dilemma: Do I want a minimed or animus pump?

At 06:35 PM 1/27/2005, jimb wrote:
>I can't help with choosing a pump, I have a 511 and so far MM service has
>been good. BUT, If I had to do this again, I would be here asking the same
>questions. I'm beginning to realize it may be a good idea to go with a pump
>That has some legs, i.e is upgradable, or can be traded in for more recent
>Features, such as CGM, which I personally think will be reality soon, I KNOW
>It been promised, heard, rumored, for awhile, but its coming. My concern
>here is how clumsy it will be. 2 infusion sets is not a good thing.
>
>Throw a dart,
>
>jimb

My concern with CGM is that people will depend on it too much.  What it
says they will take as gospel.  I have found from using the pump for over 5
years is that nothing is always the same exactly.  Which means, what worked
today might not work tomorrow.  I want to be able to make the decision as
to how much insulin I get and when.  If the CGM reports a bg to the pump
and the pump acts on it, it may or may not be the best choice at the
time.  *I* know what I'm doing.  *I* know if I am active at the moment or
just sitting in front of the tube.  All that makes a difference.  The pump
or the CGM does not know this.  And, there are just too many variables with
insulin infusion now.  I can have a set in today and the insulin works very
fast, the next set I put in might be in a location where absorption is a
bit slower.  Will the pump or the CGM know this?  Heck, it takes me a bit
of time to figure out what's going on.

RoseLea