[IP] Re: Kidney Again

> My dad just found out for sure he has diabetic kidney damage. Any
words of
> wisdom? He has 50 percent function.  Had no clue until this last
checkup.

Alicia, I am so sorry this is happening. Wise words: if he doesn't
already, please get a referral to a nephrologist (aka kidneyologist). I
didn't seek on until I was at 35% function. Previously, at 50% I was put
on a low-protein diet and lost another 15% in one year and a half.
Seeing a neph gave me eight more years until I reached 12% and needed
dialysis. Now, most people start treatments at 10%, but I understand a
DMer starting at 12% recovers much better. That seems to have been my
case. I was sleeping 12 hrs a day, no appetite, gagged on food and
pills, and losing
weight. Of course, I didn't want to go, and still don't like it, but
life is much better now. I have written two books (soon to be released),
am in Toastmasters and Hugsy and I are co-chairs of the '05 Fall
District Conference in South Bend in October (all of Ind. and 1/3 of
KY). I now have a life!! I didn't notice the change right away and when
we'd take a walk, I could go only about 500' and return. A little while
later we walked 1/2 mi around the neighborhood.

>  His doctor is to blame as far as I am concerned.  Told my dad is 7.5
> A1Cs were fine. I am very upset.

Yeah, I could blame mine for keeping me rolling my window down and
sticking my arm out in the sleet to make a left turn instead of using
the little lever on the side of the steering wheel. That's my comparison
to pumping - until I got on the 'net (after pumping 16 years using it as
a shot-delivery system). But, I also had just one shot a day and pee
tests the first 31 years after dx. I had very high A1c's, and endo
thought the 8.2% I hit once was pretty good. He wasn't disturbed greatly
by the 15.6%! But I am grateful I went 51.5 yrs as a DMer before being
in the d.chair. Somehow as a kid I knew some day I would need dialysis.

I wish your dad the best and hope he finds a good neph. I was disturbed
having 3 diff BP meds thrown at me and actually went 180 mi one way to
get a 2nd opinion. It is common practice.

Jan (47 y/o if you don't count the weekends), dx'd T-1 11/5/50, pmpg
8/23/83) & Bluda II (MM508 8/31/04)
Dialyzing since 7/8/02 http://maxpages.com/bludasue -
http://www.picturetrail.com/dmBASHpics (and EVOLUTION OF INSULIN PUMPS
with World's Youngest Pumper)