RE: [IP] Type 2 Polyglandular Autoimmune Syndrome

 Well, autoimmune thyroid disease is quite common, especially among women, where
it's around 4%.

 APS type 2 is rare enough (about 1 in 50,000) that there is a significant
chance that you have type
I DM and Hashimoto's thyroiditis independently.

 If you have another condition that is less common, such as autoimmune adrenal
insufficiency
(Addison's Disease), that would be much less likely to occur by coincidence.

 Personally, I'm either APS-2 or a bunch of coincidences. I don't seem to have
detectable antibodies
 to anything. I still produce a fair amount insulin (low-normal fasting
C-Peptide), but more insulin
 sensitive than most T1's. Two out of three of my siblings are T2 -- so I was
initially assumed to be
 T2, despite being life-long underweight. I'm adrenally insufficient, but that
can be explained away
 as being due to steroid use for asthma. I'm hypothyroid. I have hypocalcemia --
could be
 hypoparathyroid, but could also be due to steroids. I may have Sjogren's, per a
recent Schirmer
test.

 The kicker is that my daughter has vitiligo, which is also associated with
APS-2. And I just learned
 from the eMedicine article something I didn't know -- apparently there's an
association with
Parkinson's Disease, which is what my father died of.

 Out of all these endocrine issues, the one I'd most like to get rid of is the
Diabetes. (And of
 course, the one I most want to avoid for my daughter). The one that has caused
me the most illness
 and hospitalization is the adrenal insufficiency. But the diabetes takes so
much more effort and
 attention, and the neuropathy has had such an impact, there's no question --
diabetes is the main
concern.

 But I think everyone with DM T1 -- especially parents -- should be aware of the
symptoms of adrenal
 insufficiency, hypothyroid, and hyperthyroid. People sometimes die of adrenal
insufficiency because
medical personnel just don't think of it as a possibility -- until autopsy.

 And if you spot potential symptoms, you should read up in detail on diagnosis
and treatment, since
 doctors often don't get that right, either. My diagnosis would be a lot less
vague if the full
proper testing had been done initially.