Re: [IP] insurance ??

> What exactly is a self funded insurance plan?

A self funded insurance plan is one that where the $$ come directly
from the employer or union. There is no insurance company involved and
thus no insurance commissioner oversight --- and the laws that govern
what an insurance company can and cannot do or what must be covered do
not apply.

> Does the employee pay 100% of the  premiums?

Depends completely on the plan and the same manner as insurance plans.

> Also...here is a question I've often wondered about, but
> fortunately haven't been effected by yet.  I telecommute to my job in
> another state.  If I live in WA state, would the law effecting
> coverage for diabetes from WA apply, or would the laws in the state
> where the coverage is purchased apply?

It usually is the "place of business". Generally insurance provides for
"out of state coverage". I suspect it would depend on what your
employer negotiates with the insurance company. If it is really a self
funded plan, then the state probably does not matter since insurance
regulations generally won't apply anyway.

Michael