Re: [IP] Insurance Regulations

At 07:07 PM 1/24/2005, Michael wrote:

>All but 4 states have insurance requirements for covering diabetes
>supplies. Read your policy cover to cover. If it is not specifically
>excluded, they are on the hook.
>
>see:
>
>http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/links.shtml#insurance
>
>first two links -- the second shows mandatory coverage by state

 I found this to be interesting reading. Clicking on that link and going to
http://www.diabetes.org/advocacy-and-legalresources/state-legislation/healthinsurance.jsp
then clicking on the state health insurance link which took me to
http://www.diabetes.org/advocacy-and-legalresources/insurance/overview.jsp I
found that very few states require insurance companies to give anyone with
diabetes an individual policy even at a higher premium. In those instances,
diabetes is considered "uninsurable". The only states that have some type of
state mandated coverage for individual policies were New York, Maine, Vermont,
Massachusetts, New Jersey, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Virginia, North
Carolina and Florida which is required to allow a "self-employed" person to have
a policy of one and cannot be turned down for coverage because of diabetes. I
think this is appalling. What do people with diabetes do in the other 39 states?
Make sure they get a job that has health insurance coverage for them after they
retire, work until they are 65 and are eligible for medicare or just die when
they can no longer work? Makes us rethink our retirement plans now. We may have
to keep a legal residence in Michigan regardless of where we actually are
(thinking snowbirds). <sigh>

RoseLea