Re: [IP] Insurance Regulations

At 01:22 PM 1/24/05 -0700, you wrote:
 >At 01:14 PM 1/24/2005, you wrote:
 >>At 01:06 PM 1/24/05 -0700, you wrote:
 >> >I have a friend that has had a little problem with insurance.  I was
 >> >wondering if anyone knows of any regulations to require what they
cover for
 >> >diabetes care.
 >> >
 >> >Here is the message I got:
 >> >
 >> >Hey, we just found out when we went to the pharmacy last week that our
 >> >insurance no longer covers ANY diabetic supplies... NONE! They'll pay for
 >> >insulin but  nothing to deliver it to Justus with. I'm freaking out.
Do you
 >> >know if this is legal????
 >
 >They are in the "Land of Entrapment"  also called New Mexico
 >.

from http://www.ncsl.org/programs/health/diabetes.htm

Looks like New Mexico passed a statute in 1997 requiring these items to be
covered.

59A-46-43 (SB 682 Approved April 11, 1997)- Law requiring health care plans
to provide coverage for individuals with insulin-using diabetes, with
non-insulin-using diabetes, and with elevated blood glucose levels induced
by pregnancy with prescribed equipment, supplies, and appliances to treat
diabetes.

Also, can they find a spot in their contract of insurance that explicitly
states the exclusion of coverage for these items.  If not, the items must
be covered.

Liz