[IP] insulin burn?

I had my first bent cannula Thursday (quickset with serter) with
rotten timing--changed set 7:30 am when I was leaving for the airport
at 10 am to fly back to Alaska.  By 10 I was almost 400 and rising in
spite of an extra bolus and put in a new set with an additional
manual bolus.  (I often go high after a set change and then low if I
try to bolus down.)  The new set took hold within half an hour and
while I tested pretty often before and during the actual flight, I
stayed below 200 for the rest of the day.  However, I didn't have a
chance to remove the bad site during the travel, and since I got home
at 3 am Alaska time (5 am internal clock) I didn't take it out until
the next morning.  Then I discovered that not only was the cannula
bent at right angles, but the edge of the adhesive itched fiercely
and was reddened when I removed it.  Today the worst itchy part is
red and scabbed--almost like a burn.  I suspect that the Novolog I
use was trapped under the adhesive--but has anyone had this kind of
surface reaction to an insulin-adhesive combination?  I've never had
a problem with the infused Novolog.
--
Sue Ann Bowling, North Pole, Alaska