From: email @ redacted
[mailto:email @ redacted] On Behalf Of PAM LA VALLEE
Sent: Tuesday, January 18, 2005 8:42 AM
To: Insulin Pumpers
Subject: [IP] What do you do for neuropathy?

 I have had Type 1 diabetes for almost 40 years with few complications until
recently. I wake up nights now with extreme excruciating pain in my right
hand
and arm. My PCP has me on neurontin (which I am not sure is doing much) and
vicodin. It started out that 1 vicodin per night relieved the pain but now I
am
up to 3 and it does not always work. Plus I am a candidate for an islet cell
transplant and fear that much vicodin will make me test positive for drugs.
just cannot convey how ghastly this pain is as it is close to unbearable.
When I
am experiencing it I think I would rather die than endure another minute.

 I do not want to wind up like Rush Limbaugh, addicted to pain killers but
cannot imagine going through the rest of my life with this kind of agony at
night. I still work and need to get rest at night not agony. Any suggestions
would be greatly appreciated. My doc is working on it but tests take time. I
was
x-rayed last week to rule out arthritis. I've tried acupuncture and may have
have an EMG. I fear all these tests are only going to prove that it is
indeed
neuropathy but what can be done to relieve the pain without using heavy-duty
painkillers?

 The December issue of Consumer Reports mentioned a drug called Duloxetine
(Cymbalta), that supposedly reduced pain from neuropathy by 30% but an
internet
search only provided info for its use as an antidepressant. Has anyone tried
it
for neuropathy?

 I have not seen anyone else posting about this but feel it is absolutely
the
worst side affect of this dreadful disease. (I also have hypoglycemic
unawareness and gastroparesis.) Are a lot of you relegated to a life full of
painkillers or how do you get relief or have you just learned to suffer with
it?
Thankfully this experience is limited to night time so far. Maybe I should
just
never sleep! I so hope some of you can help me in the meantime, until my
docs
decide what to do.

Pam

email @ redacted,