From: email @ redacted
[mailto:email @ redacted] On Behalf Of Bob Stoll
Sent: Thursday, January 20, 2005 4:39 PM
To: email @ redacted
Subject: Re: [IP] Plastic versus Glass reservoirs

Nigel,
   I'd be happy to comment on that.  I called that a "best feature"
purely as a matter of convenience.  I use the D-Tron Plus, which uses
300ml glass cartridges.  These are the same size as the pre-filled
Humalog pen cartridges.  I used these pre-filled cartridges for several
months until I began to get painful, itchy sites.  I then switched to
NovoLog (a.k.a. NovoRapid), which also comes in pre-filled cartridges
but  they are not approved by Diestronic for use in the D-Tron Plus.
   So, to fill my 300ml glass cartridges, I use a Disetronic cartridge
filling kit.  The kit basically consists of a 315ml plastic cartridge,
and a two piece jig that holds the glass cartridge and the plastic
cartridge.  So, to fill my glass cartridge, I put the needle on the
plastic one, suck the insulin out of the bottle,  and then connect the
jig together and squirt the insulin into the glass one.    As you can
see, this procedure is kind of redundant since I'm already filling a
plastic cartridge, which is why I called the plastic one a "best feature".
   Technologically, I think the glass cartridges are better than plastic
for several reasons: 1) the plunger has three seals instead of two, 2)
it has a rubber end-cap like an insulin bottle so I can fill a whole
bunch of them in advance and not have to worry about contamination, 3)
they are narrower in diameter, which makes them easier to store (for me,
at least).  In fact, I carry my "emergency back-up insulin" in glass
cartridge that I only fill with about 100 units.  Its small enough that
I carry it and a 3/10cc syringe in my glucometer  case.  After a couple
of months I throw it out and replace it with a fresh one.
   You can see a picture of a glass cartridge at this URL:

http://www.disetronic-usa.com/d-tronplus/images/ampulle.jpg

   I hope this helps.

Bob...