Re: [IP] Sample Basal Profile for 13 year old Boy

At 1:45 PM -0400 1/20/05, Mark Chorvinsky wrote:
>We think that his basals are out of whack. I realize that everyone's
>milage may vary, but it would be very useful to see some other basal
>profiles for a 13 year old boy.  I would just like to see some
>parameters. For many years he had an A1C in the low 6's, but over
>the last year has jumped to 8.1.  I find it very hard to test basals
>since there are so many factors involved, even after you remove some
>of them. You can skip meals and test to see if the basals are
>holding the blood sugar steady, but during the time you are testing
>for basals, carbs can be coming online from the previous meal if it
>was high protein, high fat, or both.  Likewise, exercise can have a
>delayed effect, lowering blood glucose levels, causing one to think
>that the basals are too high.  We have so many problems with bad
>sites (especially prematurely bad sites) that we never know if the
>high is caused by a bad site, too many carbs/too small a bolus, too
>low a basal, and so forth.
>
>So, if you are able to make a list of basals during a 24 hour period
>for a medium-sized 13 year old boy, it would be really helpful right
>now.
>Thanks,
>Mark

I would say the number one thing to work on is the sites going bad,
otherwise your basal calculations will never be exactly right.  Why
are the sites going bad prematurely?  Is there a possibility of an
allergy to infused Humalog?   Are the sets you are using causing
allergic problems?   Solve this problem first then you can
concentrate on the basals.

George