RE: [IP] Sample Basal Profile for 13 year old Boy

Mark,

>From what I have heard in my limited time dealing with this disease,
puberty wreaks havoc with BG numbers. Since some children go through
this at different times, I'm not sure how helpful it will be to review
someone else's basal rates. Your CDEs should be working with you to
stabilize his numbers as best they can. A good starting point would be
to check what percentage of his total daily dose is basal. It should
generally be close to 50%. Do you have the book 'Pumping Insulin' by
John Walsh?

Good luck!

Hilary (mom to Phoebe, dxd at the age of 8 in 3/04, pumping with Animas
1200 since 9/04)

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Chorvinsky [mailto:email @ redacted]
Sent: Thursday, January 20, 2005 12:46 PM
To: email @ redacted
Subject: [IP] Sample Basal Profile for 13 year old Boy

Hi,

I have a 13 year old son, dxd at 4.5 (1995).

We think that his basals are out of whack. I realize that everyone's
milage may vary, but it would be very useful to see some other basal
profiles for a 13 year old boy.  I would just like to see some
parameters. For many years he had an A1C in the low 6's, but over the
last year has jumped to 8.1.  I find it very hard to test basals
since there are so many factors involved, even after you remove some
of them. You can skip meals and test to see if the basals are holding
the blood sugar steady, but during the time you are testing for
basals, carbs can be coming online from the previous meal if it was
high protein, high fat, or both.  Likewise, exercise can have a
delayed effect, lowering blood glucose levels, causing one to think
that the basals are too high.  We have so many problems with bad
sites (especially prematurely bad sites) that we never know if the
high is caused by a bad site, too many carbs/too small a bolus, too
low a basal, and so forth.

So, if you are able to make a list of basals during a 24 hour period
for a medium-sized 13 year old boy, it would be really helpful right
now.

Thanks,
Mark

Mark Chorvinsky
father to pumper David, 13

Humalog in Animas Pump, pumping since 6 years old (7 years)