From: email @ redacted
[mailto:email @ redacted] On Behalf Of Jacob Chojnacki
Sent: Thursday, January 20, 2005 12:36 PM
To: email @ redacted
Cc: Insulin Pumpers
Subject: [IP] islet cell

Hey everyone.  I just met with UIC doctors and I am going forward with
the screening.  Although I haven't made up my mind if I should do this
or not.

I am fairly healthy right now and for most of my life have "accepted
the swings and the diabetes"  I am afraid to take the anti-rejection
drugs and am afraid of the surgery - although it appears to be really
simple.   I don't know what awaits me on the other side....Yet, there
is potential positives too.

I am wondering how you guys battle the choice between diabetes and
anti-rejection and the surgery?  I have had diabetes for 17 years going
on 18....and I have a baby boy on the way.   Yet, so far no major
complications.  But, nevertheless, this is an opportunity for me.  Even
if it only works for a couple years- Do you think it would be worth it?

Thanks

Jake
27 years old, 17 years diabetic, Minimed 515