[IP] India - Highly diabetic pregnant woman delivers child:

http://athens-olympics-2004.newkerala.com/?action=fullnews&id=61797

(At least the title wasn't "lowly diabetic...")

Highly diabetic pregnant woman delivers child:
[Health India]: Kochi, Jan 18 : For the first time in the country, a woman
suffering from type-I diabetes and was using an insulin pump during her
pregnancy, has delivered a healthy child.

The 34-year-old woman delivered a healthy baby girl two weeks ago, Dr Harish
Kumar and Dr Vasantha Nair of the Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences said at
a press meet here today.

This is the first time in the country that insulin pump, an external
pager-sized battery operated device that "mimics" human pancreas, had been
used to
take a high risk diabetic patient through pregnancy, they said.

Dr Vasantha said the woman had lost her first baby due to uncontrolled levels
of blood glucose. Using Medtronic's Continuous Glucose Monitoring System
(CGMS), the team of doctors obtained her a complete blood glucose profile.

Based on that information, it was decided that the patient could have a safe
delivery only if her blood glucose level was brought under control.

The patient had to wear the insulin pump during the entire duration of her
pregnancy thanks to which she had a normal delviery without any complications,
Dr Harish said. PTI

Very sincerely yours,

Ellen H. Ullman

Mom, Advocate for children who have diabetes and their parents, Friend,
Webmaster..  http://www.kidsrpumping.com/
Please support funding a cure for diabetes:
Diabetes Research Institute in Miami, Florida:  http://www.drinet.org/
Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation: http://www.jdrf.org/

bbBut there is still more I need to do...For us kids with diabetes, the
real
freedom will be being cured of this disease.'' Lauren Stanford 2005, 7th
grade, 11th annual Martin Luther King Jr. prayer breakfast at Plymouth South
High
School, Massachusetts.

"I realized that resignation to suffering from diabetes substitutes poorly
for the courage to manage it appropriately."  Melissa P. Ford, doctoral
student
in early modern British history at Oxford University; founding coordinator of
the Oxford University Student Union Diabetes Network; member of Balliol
College