RE: [IP] ReTalking about doctors: Wad of Socks

Yes!

 About 18 months after being diagnosed with diabetes (and with peak A1c around
7.2, around 6.5 post
 diagnosis), I started feeling like my socks were balled up under my feet every
time I put on my
 skates. I also noticed increased difficulty in coordinating take-off's for
jumps, and I just
couldn't tell what was going on.

 Then a few months later, I was warming up for a lesson, when I caught my toe
pick, probably skated
 my other foot into the heal, and gave my right leg a big twist. Leg didn't work
after that, so of
 course, down I went. Sat around for a couple hours while my family finished
their lessons, realized
 I wasn't going to be walking out of there, called an ambulance. Discovered in
the ER I had fractured
my femur across the neck.

 After the surgery, and subsequent pneumonia, I kept having more and more
discomfort in my feet.
 After a couple more months, I realized the problem wasn't dermatologic in
nature, went to a
 neurologist, and discovered I had neuropathy. Nerve impulses were 50% as fast
and 1% as strong as
 normal! No doubt the poorer control while I was hospitalized and immobilized
contributed to
accelerating the symptoms.

 Once I realized that, I knew I had to get onto insulin ASAP, and probably the
pump. I had the
 additional problem of steroids to contend with, and there was no way diet, oral
meds and now
 non-existent exercise were going to control my BS. (Eventually this led to the
realization that I am
 actually quite insulin sensitive -- when not on high doses of steroids, anyway.
More sensitive than
 the usual Type 1, even. Given all my other endocrine issues, I'm probably LADA,
but
antibody-negative).

 Being on this list, I presume you're ahead of the curve and already on the
pump, and doing
 everything you can to control your BS. Going on the pump has been the best
thing for my feet. I also
 use a toipical ointment with Ketamine, Ketoprofen, and amyltriptiline, which
helps considerably.

 Bottom line -- I think you should see a neurologist. There's probably not much
to be done right now,
 but documenting it may come in handy in the future, whether for disability or
treatment. And I do
 think it's helpful to know whether it is getting worse or not -- it can be hard
to tell from
symptoms.

 If the "big wad of socks" is annoying enough, it may be worth treating with
something topical, even
if it's not actually pain. I know it sure annoyed me!

 (Or maybe you'll get the news that it's not neurological, and you just need
better shoes! Wouldn't
that be nice?)