[IP] Re: BD meters

Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 16:41:18 -0600
From: "gina" <email @ redacted>
Subject: [IP] BD Logic meters

Bill,
    As I was just like you, untill labout 10 days ago when I started to get
some pretty high numbers ! Last night I checked my BG and the link in one
room said 427 so I being  GOOD DIABETIC WASHED MY HANDS DID ANOTHER AND IT
READ 438. WENT TO MY KITCHEN USED YET MY OTHER LINK MONITOR AND GOT A 287.I
THEN USED MY PUMP TO CORRECT FOR THE WEIRD HIGH.45 min. later I'm at 47.No,
I would not trust the link after that,however when I called BD this morning,
the person I spoke with seemed to have an idea as to what is wrong with both
meters...after suggesting maybe I just wasn't doing them right...Did a
control while on the phone and that was a 388.The new meters will be here
tomorrow, don't know if I'll trust them as this has been just as scary as
before my oump days!   by now my husband was awake went to car , got
freestyle meter it read 32.

Dear Pumpers:
The fact that most of us have had a problem one time or another with the BD
meters should tell the manufacturer that their product is flawed.  We should
not have to use "backup" meters with the BD meters.  I have relied on my old
One Touch Ultra (with my old Accucheck as backup if I run out of OTU strips)
now for 2 years and it has always been right on target for my BG's.  I wrote
BD a letter stating that their product could cause an insulin dependent
diabetic to go into insulin shock or coma due to the wide swing of numbers
on the BD meter.  I've heard nary a word since.  It makes me angry as any
one of us could suffer physically from BD's lack of concern with their
meters.  By the way, those meters were the first that BD ever produced.
What I don't understand is WHY didn't Minimed go with a proven company for
their meters?  Thanks for listening and allowing me to step up to the
soapbox. :)  Robin in Texas