Re: [IP] Re: LIPOATROPHY

Krista-

 I agree with Michael's suggestion - sounds like you've got a working solution
on hand now.
 If switching to using regular insulin & pump does not solve the problem
(hopefully it will) and you (and Anthony's doctors) are interested in trying out
temporarily giving Anthony humalog using a Gentlejet (one reason I did this was
because I lost so much subcutaneous tissue from my injection sites that
initially it was not possible for me to wear a "quick-set" (soft catheter)
infusion set because the catheter (i'm not sure what it's called - the thin
tubing that is left under the skin when the needle is removed) was pressing
against my muscle and kinking due to the lack of subcutaneous tissue. Wearing a
metal needle under the skin is very painful in "thin" injection sites. After
injecting insulin with the Gentljet for a period of time I recovered enough
tissue to be able to wear a quick-set and switch over to pump therapy.
 The doctor who looked after me and was very supportive of me while I started
using the Gentlejet (in 1997) and when I switched over to pump therapy is Dr
Richard Firth in the Mater Private Hospital in Dublin, Ireland. He is a
well-respected consultant diabetologist and endocrinologist and knowledgeable
about lipoatrophy and the use of, pros (in my case lots of them!!) & cons (in my
case none that weren't successfully overcome) of the Gentlejet in treating
lipoatrophy.
 If your doctor wishes to contact him his contact details are at www.mater.ie (
email @ redacted ) .

 Oh one other thing- when someone has fairly large lipoatrophic lesions on their
arms or abdominal region - they are far more sensitive to the cold. We need our
fatty tissue for not just for insulin injections but for insulation too!!

best wishes
Aisling
Type 1 12+years, Gentlejet 6 years,  MM508 1+