Re: [IP] Re: LIPODYSTROPHY

> My son Anthony will be 4 next week.  He was diagnosed with T1 August 25,
> 2002.  He has been pumping since 4/03.  He now is having severe
> lipodystrophy issues.  I am running out of spots on him because it's
> like his tissues are
>  "caving in". I have researched and am now blue in the face. Is anyone
>  out there
> that can help us.  I really do not want to take him off the pump. We
> have switched from humalog to novolog and it's still an issue.  Any info
> would be appreciated. Krista, worried mommy to Anthony. .

Hi Krista,

Have your endo contact:

   William V. Tamborlane, MD <email @ redacted>

He has done research on this problem and may be able to shed some
additional light on the subject.

BTW, the term is "Lipoatrophy"

See:

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/cgi/content/full/24/1/174

One solution may be to switch to regular insulin in the pump. The
insulin mentioned in the article above is no longer available, but that
should not really make a difference.

If you switch to regular, you will have to pre-bolus for meals because
the response time is much slower for regular... and set all the basal
rate start times back 30 minutes from the time they start now. Other
changes will be very small and should not take much adjustment.

Talk to your doc about this. Bill Tamborlane is a very nice guy and
will certainly respond to your doc's query.

Michael