Re: [IP] teaching doctors

In a message dated 1/18/05 4:16:22 PM Eastern Standard Time, email @ redacted
writes:
With malpractice and student loans, and some practices don't carry
insurance unless affliated with a hospital, there are those of us who can't
get
health insurance and therefore choose to do without. it is still a struggle.
Doctors aren't the only ones with debt and insurance for business issues (did
you ever try to run a construction company?) and student loans, and I doubt
that the issue surrounding health insurance is one of not being able to afford
it.  There are all kinds of doctor's organizations that one can join and
 through them buy health insurance. My "group" for insurance puropses consists
of 2
people, and I pay a hefty sum for individual insurance, and have copays and
 drugs to pay for too. I'm not complaining about it - I'm very glad I have it -
I rather wish I didn't have to use it so often!

There are struggles and there are struggles.  Sure, some doctors work in
 impoverished areas with impoverished populations, but they're not poor. I'm not
saying all doctors are rich, because I know they aren't, but there aren't many
poor doctors.  Most are solidly middle class or better.

I know there are a lot of expenses to running an office, otherwise how could
the $135. charge for ten minutes be justified at all.

And don't even get me started on insurance companies.  I'm glad they exist
and that I have insurance (and I went without for ten years when I coudln't
afford it, and went undiagnosed with diabetes because I coudln't afford to pay
 that $135 to see a doctor), but I often wonder whether health care costs
wouldn't
be a lot lower if there were not health insurance at all.  Imagine if doctors
didn't need a staff of 20 to deal with insurance companies?

So, yes, I get mad at my doctors, sometimes, and it irritates me when I have
to teach a doctor that anemia affects a1c, but I also appreciate them greatly
for all that they do.

Stacey