[IP] Re: Infusion set problems

email @ redacted wrote:

<
<  Miguel Jimenez <email @ redacted>
<  I have been using MiniMed 508 with Humalog from one year. I do not achieve
<  complete control yet as I have several problems with infusion set (I have
<  to change it too frequently). I live in Madrid, Spain.
<
<  Reply-

Hi Miguel

 What problems have you been having with your set and how often do you change
it?
 Do you find the heat in Madrid during the summer months affects your insulin -
does it denature in the heat?
 I sometimes think pumps should come with thermometers fitted and alarm if the
pump gets too warm for the insulin. It rarely - no it never! - gets that hot in
Ireland but when I was on holidays in Italy last year I found that I had to
change my pump every day or at least every second day - I normally only change
my set twice a week (I take approx. 20 units of insulin per day). I was finding
that after 2 days my insulin requirements were increasing despite being more
physically active than usual - I thought that the heat might have been a factor
and was causing the insulin to denature.

Aishling
Type1 12+years, Minimed 508 1+years
Dublin, Ireland.