[IP] What do you do for neuropathy?

 I have had Type 1 diabetes for almost 40 years with few complications until
recently. I wake up nights now with extreme excruciating pain in my right hand
and arm. My PCP has me on neurontin (which I am not sure is doing much) and
vicodin. It started out that 1 vicodin per night relieved the pain but now I am
up to 3 and it does not always work. Plus I am a candidate for an islet cell
transplant and fear that much vicodin will make me test positive for drugs. I
just cannot convey how ghastly this pain is as it is close to unbearable. When I
am experiencing it I think I would rather die than endure another minute.

 I do not want to wind up like Rush Limbaugh, addicted to pain killers but
cannot imagine going through the rest of my life with this kind of agony at
night. I still work and need to get rest at night not agony. Any suggestions
would be greatly appreciated. My doc is working on it but tests take time. I was
x-rayed last week to rule out arthritis. I've tried acupuncture and may have to
have an EMG. I fear all these tests are only going to prove that it is indeed
neuropathy but what can be done to relieve the pain without using heavy-duty
painkillers?

 The December issue of Consumer Reports mentioned a drug called Duloxetine
(Cymbalta), that supposedly reduced pain from neuropathy by 30% but an internet
search only provided info for its use as an antidepressant. Has anyone tried it
for neuropathy?

 I have not seen anyone else posting about this but feel it is absolutely the
worst side affect of this dreadful disease. (I also have hypoglycemic
unawareness and gastroparesis.) Are a lot of you relegated to a life full of
painkillers or how do you get relief or have you just learned to suffer with it?
Thankfully this experience is limited to night time so far. Maybe I should just
never sleep! I so hope some of you can help me in the meantime, until my docs
decide what to do.

Pam

email @ redacted,

www.pbgvpal.com