[IP] Re:IP] public apologyn - Works/words

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 23:25:04 -0800, you wrote:

>>Hi, thanks for the nice words. My computer come with
>>works but I think I have learned a way to convert
>>works to word.

Microsoft works word processor is not, and cannot be "converted to", Microsoft
 Word. Word is a much more extensive program, but many of it's capabilities are,
frankly, the sort of thing very few ordinary folks need, and Works can be
thought of as a subset of Word.  The main thing is that Works can read files
written by Word, and can also save the files you write, in Word's format,
 allowing you to easily send files to someone using Word. But then even that may
not be needed, as the person using Word can also read files written by Works
just fine.  Both programs have the ability to automatically read file formats
written by the other, and optionally save files in the other's format (use the
"save as" option, rather than just "save")  Files written in Word may
occasionally use features that are not available in Works, and that can mess up
the look of a page when viewed in Works.  But in general, ordinary written
documents don't run into that problem much.  It's when you get into complex
formatting, automatic references to external documents, and that sort of jazz
that you start to find problems.

Peter