Re: [IP] Microsoft WORD

At 09:32 PM 1/17/2005, you wrote:
 >My personial OPINION on this MS Word situation is that I don't think Bill
 >Gates will miss the few measley dollars he would have been making if we POOR
 > students decide to share the software. And I, as the mom to my child, will
 >feel
 >no regrets installing any software I have in my possession onto my child's
 >computer.
 >
 >Oh, don't forget, "THEY" say it is illegal to remove the tags off your
 > mattresses, and pillows and all the rest of that stuff. How many of you
still
 >do
 >it??!!!!!
 >
 >Sylvia
 >Poor student but about to graduate
 >mom to Joshua

The messages on the tags on mattresses and pillows are aimed at sellers not
the end user, so that's not a valid argument. Also, the amount of money MS
makes is not relevant since theft is theft, no matter who it's from.
Otherwise it would be OK to rob rich homes, but not poor ones... however,
the law doesn't make that distinction. Being poor isn't an excuse either,
because otherwise it would be OK for poor people to rob others who had much
more than they do. Yet, we lock up poor people all the time for theft. You
don't own the software you purchase... all you get is a license to use it.
By installing the product you agree to the license, which almost always
prohibits making copies.

The bottom line is that we cannot be promoting illegal activities on this
list. What you do on your own, is totally up to you.

Sam