Re: [IP] Blood in tubing of infusion set & bent cannula

> <snip> I have
> had sugars in the 300's all day, without an explanation. I finally
decided
> to change the set and found that the cannula was bent.

The instructions are after 2 unexplained tests over 240 to change the
set. This sounds like one of those times.

> Question 1: Can you use those sets even if there's blood in it? I
mean,
> it's only my blood and all it would be doing is going back into my
body.

It would delay the insulin getting into you, besides you should end up
with a bruise. I had a bent cannula 12/98 and just returned to that
area. Sure enough, it bent again so I just cannot use that spot. I guess
it was scar tissue from an abscess long ago.

> Question 2: Are there ways to prevent a cannula getting bent?

As suggested by someone else, the safety loop is a necessity (I know
some will disagree on that). But, that reduces the inches of the tubing,
therefore, my 42" length allows me to toss it on the bed and it's still
long enough to not tug on anything. That tug can bend that tiny Teflon
cannula. I also set an alarm/buzzer to go off one hour after changing
sites to see if I'm remaining steady or there is an abrupt rise.

Jan (47 y/o if you don't count the weekends), dx'd T-1 11/5/50, pmpg
8/23/83) & Bluda II (MM508 8/31/04)
Dialyzing since 7/8/02 http://maxpages.com/bludasue -
http://www.picturetrail.com/dmBASHpics (and EVOLUTION OF INSULIN PUMPS
with World's Youngest Pumper)

A diet is when you have to go to some length to change your width.