Re: [IP] Microsoft WORD

At 05:59 PM 1/17/2005, you wrote:
 >On Sun, 16 Jan 2005, Sam wrote:
 >
 >> At 10:20 AM 1/16/2005, you wrote:
 > > >I run XP on my compputer and have Office 2000 that my SIS gave me.
She also
 >>  >included the code so there has never been an issue installing her disk
 >> into my
 >>  >computer and Josh's.  That is why I told Kathy i was willing to copy
it and
 >>  >send it, incluidng the code!!!
 >>  >
 >>  >Sylvia
 >>  >mom to Joshua
 >>
 >> That is still illegal! First of all, for most copies of computer software,
 >> unless the license says something different, you're not allowed to install
 >> it on more than one computer at the same time. Secondly, for Office 2000
 >> and above, you have something called "activation" which will prevent a user
 >> from installing it on other computers (even with the proper installation
 >> key). It goes online and checks with Microsoft and it'll recognize that
 >
 >Not true if you have the "corporate" version which does not have that
 >feature. :-)
 >
 >Michael

Except that I'd think that even then, it's not totally "legal" to share it
with everyone you know. However, I'd have to read the corporate license to
see what the fair use for it would be.

Another "gotcha" is that many people have used the "upgrade" version to
install their software... in those cases you need to have a copy of the old
version to install the upgrade. Technically you're not allowed to even give
away the old version, since it was the basis for the upgrade. <sigh> You
almost have to be a lawyer to figure out all this stuff.

Sam