Re: [IP] Do I need a wakeup call or what?

Lee Ann,
     It sounds to me as though you have a very good grip on how to live
with T1.  The complications are not eminent, they are potential.
Everybody has potential complications in life, it's called aging.  Your
diabetes simply makes you more prone to these complications earlier in
life.  By being aware of your diabetes and knowing how to recognize and
treat your symptoms, and checking your BS.  You greatly reduce the
chance of complications.  So live life to it's fullest, just be aware
and learn all you can, that's your best tool.

Good luck  Scott H. T1 29 yrs. pumping since 4/01

>>> email @ redacted 01/12/05 20:34 PM >>>
 As a type I diabetic for 8 years, I've never been very clear on how
concerned I
should be about what's to come. As many have explained on this board of
late,
whether or not I'll end up with complications depends not only on how
well I
manage my sugars, but also on genetics. (Neither of which gives me any
certainty
regarding what's to come.)

 Admittedly, time doesn't often allow me to scour every IP digest that
comes
through, but the general impression I get as I scan them is that it's
only a
matter of time before I start falling apart. (Am I misinterpreting the
remarks
that I find here?)

 Nearly a year ago, I signed on with my current endo--very competent,
very
optimistic. (Can he possibly be both?) As he was checking my feet during
that
initial visit, I made a comment about not having any complications
"yet." He
quickly corrected me, assuring me that I needn't ever experience
them--what with
advances in technology and medicine.... He assured me that, one way or
another,
a cure is just around the corner. He's an educated guy, but I don't
gather from
many who post here that you share his view.

 At this point, diabetes doesn't feel like a death sentence to me. Yes,
I have
to be concerned with things (like testing, bolusing, planning and
correcting)
that others needn't ever consider... But I don't see myself as being all
that
different from my non-D friends and family. Am I living in la-la land?

If so, could somebody please give me a wakeup call?

~Lee Ann