[IP] Diabetes and Cancer?

Cancer and diabetes is an interesting question I have also asked myself.
I have been "on insulin" since I was 12 which was 48 years ago.  I still
have no complications, although a little background retinopathy,
developing cataracts, frozen shoulders and trigger fingers, a little
neuropathy are or were present.  I was also diagnosed with prostate
cancer in 1997 and have had lots of treatments for it since including
surgery, radiation, hormone ablaton therapy and I am now undergoing
chemo.

Frankly, I vote for cancer as being the greater burden and threat.  I
live with diabetes every minute of every day, but I usually know what is
going on and what it takes to feel good and to stay in line.  (Although
before 1980 with my first home blood glucose monitor and 1981 with my
first pump, I often had no idea why or even whether my blood sugar was
high or low.)

My goal with the treatment of cancer (which is now considered
"advanced") is to still be in good shape when a cure is developed and
available.  My goal with diabetes is to live a long and productive life
with as few complications as possible.  I agree with those who have
posted recently, that a goal for us "Type Oners" is still quite distant.

Gilles, I hope this opinion of mine helps you with your question.

Joel (dx 1956 at age 12, pumping since 1981, currently on COSMO and love
it -- especially the COSMONITOR).