Re: [IP] Blood in tubing of infusion set & bent cannula

 Sounds like you hit a bleeder (small vein) You could prime out the set and get
rid of the blood, but it (the blood at the site would mess up the absorbion of
the insulin. I tried all the different sets before i settled on the silhouette.
If you use a 9mm , try a 6mm. or a different type, quickset/softset/ etc. It
really is a trial and error in getting the right set.
don

Dan and Marcia <email @ redacted> wrote:
I tried posting this yesterday, but didn't see it show up, so I re-sent it.
Sorry if it's a duplicate.

Having been on the pump for not even one whopping week, I had an interesting
experience today. Probably regular, but interesting to me anyway. I have
had sugars in the 300's all day, without an explanation. I finally decided
to change the set and found that the cannula was bent. In changing to the
new set, when I inserted it, blood came up through the tubing just like in
an IV when it goes in sometimes. I wasn't sure what to do with it, so I
threw it away (feeling nauseous about that!) and did a new one. The second
one was fine.

Question 1: Can you use those sets even if there's blood in it? I mean,
it's only my blood and all it would be doing is going back into my body. If
you've ever had this happen, what do you do about it? I just didn't know
what to do.

Question 2: Are there ways to prevent a cannula getting bent? I've
"dropped" the pump a couple times. It never hit anything as the tubing is
only 23 inches long or whatever, but it just kind of swung for a second
until I reacted and caught it. I wonder if this caused it to pull out sort
of funny or twist or something and cause it to bend. Any thoughts?

Thanks for your help!
Marcia R.