[IP] Meters/ultrasmarts/BD paradigm

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 22:18:40 -0800, you wrote:

>> Finally about a
>>month ago I realized that my Paradigm does everything I was asking my
>>Ultrasmart to do and except for those E-3's I was very happy with the Link. I
>>tried it out again and have been very happy. I have not seen 1 error message
>>and have not had any false readings either.

chuckle.  No errors, huh?  The trick is, how would you know unless you're cross
checking every time with another meter.  Last spring and early summer, I did
just that with every test I ran over about a two month period.  Most of the
 time, cross checking with either a freestyle or ultrasmart, or both, I found
the
 BD to be right on (the ultrasmart and freestyle were ALWAYS in agreement,
though
each had a slight variance from each other, it was always in about the same
 direction and amount). But with perhaps 4-5 percent of the readings, the BD was
off by more than a little.  A few of them were VERY off, enough to have been
 dangerous, had I trusted them. So I've been using the freestyles and ultrasmart
(mostly the freestyle Tracker) since.  But a few days ago I found an unopened
 vial of BD strips that I'd gotton from BD around the time, perhaps in June,
that
I last tried the meter before giving up on it.  And as it happened, I was
sitting at the computer feeling a little tired.  Figured I'd better check.  The
freestyle happened to be out in the kitchen, but right here was the BD and that
vial of strips.  Which I used.  It told me, to my relief, that I was at 86,
which should be just fine, especially since it was already rather later than my
 usual dinner time, and I was planning to eat soon. But thinking about it, and
 realizing that I really din't feel like "86" or just tired (tingling lips,
etc),
I went out to the kitchen and retested.  Guess what.  The freestyle said 279.
Well, that was more than I'd expected by quite a bit.  I'd changed sets about
five hours earlier, so figured i'd better be cautious and investigate further
before just bolusing or taking a shot.  A ketostix said moderate ketones,
something I almost never see.  A further check revealed the infusion line had
caught on something, or some other event of that sort, and in a fluke I've also
never experienced before, had rotated the hub on the quickset somehow, and it
was half disconnected.  I wasn't getting insulin at all.  Had I simply chalked
 my fatigue up to a long day, gone and made dinner, and bolus for it, then
waited
until bedtime to check again, or perhaps even just gone to bed, this could have
become serious.

So you tell me.  Should I trust the BD in future?  it's not just one meter.
I've had four of them so far, three of them the supposedly fixed one, trying to
find a solution to these errors.  And this is not just one batch of strips
either.  Several batches, over several months, though admitedly, not recently.

Errors of the magnitude that the BD meter gives me are just not acceptable.
True, they are quite rare.  I never get E-3 errors since the "fixed" the meter.
But I dont' want a meter that just doesn't give error messages.   If 99 out of
100 readings are within an acceptable range of accuracy, but the single reading
that is off is wrong by a potentially life threatening amount, that is simply
 not acceptable, and I've seen readings on these things (the one I have now is
my
fourth one, by the way) that, had I trusted the meter, would have made
 potentially dangerous changes in my treatment. I want one that I can trust, and
 that means it needs to be able to detect a bad strip, or a bad connection to
the
strip, or a bad fill, or whatever.  I dont' know what the problem with the BD
meter is, but until they really redesign the damn thing instead of just making
the internal software less sensative to some errors, I sure won't use it for
anything other than a damn costly paperweight.  And frankly, for such a
supposedly high tech cutting edge device, it seems to have missed out on a lot
of good ideas the competition has incorporated, such as back lights, so I can
see the thing in dim lighting, a small enough size and case so it actually can
 fit in a pocket, instead of requiring a backpack (hold it up to the light. It's
mostly empty space.  Why did they make the thing so clunky?  The internal works
are much smaller than the meter itself) And the data port connection is lousy
too.  Even just using it as a link to the computer doesn't work well.  Why
 couldn't they have spent the extra 50 cents on an actual plug connection
capable
of a good electrical contact for the download cable instead of relying on that
fake test strip cable, which seldom works well.  I've a longer list than that,
but that will do for now.

cheers

Peter Rowe
Seattle