Re: [IP] Re: Cure for diabetes

In a message dated 1/16/05 3:44:12 PM Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

>With  diabetic medications and treatment running a
>whopping $92 billion annually,  who wants to kill that cash cow.

But most of that profit goes to drug companies and suppliers, not to the
 researchers and doctors looking for a cure. Drug companies spend about twice as
much money on advertising as they do on research.  The government is the major
supporter of research for cures, sometimes partly funded by drug companies.
Other supporters of research are charitable foundations like the various
diabetes orgs.

The research the drug companies support is the kind that's most likely to
make thier drugs look good.

And the cure is most likely to be found by some researcher working away at
some University Lab, not by a Pfizer or Merck researcher.  Their motivation is
more likely a nobel prize, not millions of dollars that they don't ever get.

And I still believe that there are plenty of places for drug companies to
make money, so if and when a cure for diabetes is found, they'll move on to
 something else - there's always aids and cancer and lupus and arthritis and so
on.
And 25 years ago, we didnt' even know aids existed, so who's to say that
there isn't some other god awful disease around the corner that will need
treatment and cure?  There's always something.

Stacey