[IP] UIC Chicago islet transplant questions

Hi guys,

I've recently been called for islet cell transplant (or at least apply)
and I am meeting with a doctor from UIC in Chicago for the islet
transplant this coming week..  I've been diagnosed since 1988 and I'm
currently 27.  I have no complications and have been on Minimed pumps
for 4 years..recently on a 515.  Anyways, I wanted to ask you all some
thoughts or comments.

1. The doctors say they are looking for folks with severe lows several
times a week and needing the assistance of someone.
	I take my test 12-14 times a day and although I do get frequent lows,
I also can see it happening because I test so often.  Do you think this
is a problem?   I do have times where I need assistance but since being
on the pump, I check my sugars a lot.

2.  What do you guys feel about the immuno suppression drugs?  I am
only 27 and have no complications.  All though my brother, mother have
gotten some including: blindness, kidney transplant, and lots of heart
problems.

3. Do you know anyone who has been on the islet transplant for a while?

4.  Any other thoughts...?
Any comments would be awesome.  I meet with the doctor for the first
screening to see if I even qualify.

Sincerely,

Jacob Chojnacki
Chicago
27 years old
17 years since diabetic
MINIMED 515 pump and BD link (4 years on pump)