From: email @ redacted
[mailto:email @ redacted] On Behalf Of John Kinsley
Sent: Friday, January 14, 2005 14:27
To: Insulin-Pumpers
Subject: [IP] prevalence of Type 1 diabetes in adults and children

Melitta Rorty:
>>>  The CDCs numbers indicate that of the 30,000 people newly diagnosed
with Type 1 diabetes each year, 17,000 (56%) are adults, and those numbers
do not include newly diagnosed people with LADA.

That Type 1 autoimmune diabetes is a disease that predominantly strikes
children is just a myth. The vast majority of people who acquire Type 1
autoimmune diabetes are adults.  <<<

Can you be more specific where the CDC publishes the information you
cited? I cannot locate the info on line.  I do not have the current 2001
publication, but the previous issue of the American Diabetes Association
publication, "Diabetes-1996 Vital Statistics", says:

Overall, the annual incidence of IDDM in the United States is
approximately 18 new cases per 100,000 people younger than 20.  This
translates to approximately 13,200 new cases each year in U.S. children
<20 years of age. - - -the annual incidence of IDDM in adults >=20 years
of age is approximately 9 per 100,000 (that is half the incidence of the
younger <20 year age group) - - - Disease incidence increases with age
until puberty, with peak incidence at around 10-12 years old in girls and
12-14 years old in boys.  There is little information about IDDM incidence
in adults. (My words are in parenthesis)

In addition, I cite Epidemiologic Reviews:
The onset of type 1 diabetes can occur at any age, but it is usually
diagnosed during childhood and adolescence, with a peak incidence around
the time of puberty.  This pattern has been reported for most populations
throughout the world.

 [demime 0.98e removed an attachment of type application/x-pkcs7-signature which
had a name of smime.p7s]