Re: [IP] Re: Reader's Digest - Cow's Milk and Type 1

At 03:47 PM 1/14/2005, Pam Brown wrote:
>Yes, when my son was born 14 years ago, a Finnish study had just come out in
>which the incidence of kids developing Type 1 was higher in those who had been
 >given cow's milk formula vs. soy or breastfed. I don't remember the details,
but
>it was something about cow's milk having a similar protein to something in the
 >beta cells, which caused antibodies to attack it, thus attacking the beta
cells
>at the same time.

 When I was born 53 years ago, not too many women gave their babies formula. I
was breastfed until I reached an old enough age to drink from a glass. Btw, I am
one of six children who were all raised the same way and two of us have
diabetes. There are a lot of babies out there who are fed cow's milk based
formulas as well, and they don't all have diabetes (my daughter is one). There's
more to it than milk.

RoseLea