[IP] Re: Cure For Diabetes

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 13:13:18 EST,
email @ redacted wrote:

 >>>As someone who has done research and has worked in the industry, i
must say
  that i resent the fact that some feel we are not curing diabetes
because "there
is no money in the cure".  do you really think that Drs. Best and
Banting
  (the co-discoverers of insulin) found it overnight? No...I believe it
took them
nearly 15 years, and that was just to determine where insulin came
from.<<<

You are mistaken. If you would go back and read the biography of
Frederick Banting, by Michael Bliss, you would learn that the discovery
of insulin occurred very rapidly, by your standards. Banting served
with the Canadian army in Europe in 1918 (WW1) and he was not doing
research at that time or before that time. Sometime between 1919 and
1921 (Bliss documents the actual date) Banting was inspired with a new
approach to finding the cause of diabetes while he was practicing
surgery in London, Ont. He struggled to find support for his new
project, and I think it was 1921 before Edward Best, a medical student
(not yet MD) was assigned to him. Before the end of 1921 they had found
what they were looking for, and it was January 1922 when the first
insulin was injected into a human (other than Banting himself). And I
believe it was 1925 when Banting (but not Best) received the Nobel
Prize for the discovery. Things just don't happen that fast nowadays,
but back then thank goodness they did.

Tom Beatson
dx 12/1942, 506 1995, 508 2000