RE: [IP] Re: Cure For Diabetes

I would use the free market to cure diabetes.  What if a bunch of us
diabetics did the research and found a cure, instead of relying on others
(so-called apathetic and/or evil corporations) to do it for us?

It would seem that we would benefit the most, and therefore keep a lot of
the implied corruption (money making, etc.) out of the whole mess.  Kind of
like what Jerry Lewis does for his kids.  His daughter had MS (I believe),
and that is why he does the telethons every Labor Day weekend.  But, some
things to think about...
1.  If you had a cure for diabetes, and you spent $100 Billion to come up
with it, how much would you charge 10 million Americans for it? 2 million
Canadians?  10 million Eurpeans?  Would you give it away?  What would you
explain to the people that invested their money into your venture, and then
were told, "For the good of all, we are giving this away.  I hope you feel
good about this."  (You may have to say this on your way to jail for
investor fraud)
2.  What would you do with the 22 million people that were cured that now
live longer and stress the other parts of the social system?  (I put this in
here, because every thing is related, and as a really horrific example is
curing diseases in Africa some may say has lead to massive starvation
there.)
3.  If the FDA said that your cure was not available for sale in the US,
would you personally take it?
3a. Would you sell it in another country?
4.  If your cure put your company in jeopardy of going out of business, due
to the lost revenue of diabetic supplies, and among the medicines that you
produced prevented birth defects (and you are the only company making it)
would you still produce it?
5.  What would you do with the companies and their employees that were put
out of business at other companies (Novo, Lilly, OneTouch, Minimed, etc.)
when their service are no longer needed?

Just a thought...(and a solution)

Jeff