[IP] Re: Edmonton protocol

>  Yes, the Edmonton Protocol is islet cell transplant which, IMO, right
> now is not going to be available for all Type 1s in the near future.

It takes 2 pancreases to implant enough cells into one person. Also,
anti-rejection drugs must be taken, which can cause cancer. I don't
really call that a *cure* but a change in treatments. YMMV

Jan (47 y/o if you don't count the weekends), dx'd T-1 11/5/50, pmpg
8/23/83) & Bluda II (MM508 8/31/04)
Dialyzing since 7/8/02 http://maxpages.com/bludasue -
http://www.picturetrail.com/dmBASHpics (and EVOLUTION OF INSULIN PUMPS
with World's Youngest Pumper)

Change is wonderful as long as it doesn't involve me.  ~ gail d [IPer]