Re: [IP] [Fwd: insulin-pumpers-digest V8 #657]

In a message dated 1/14/05 10:47:03 AM Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

>OK I'm now confused. As I've been told less insulin less appetite, more
insulin
>more appetite. High BGs more appetite. Which means more weigh gain to me. if
I'm
>wrong please explain.

High BG without insulin means the glucose isn't getting into the cells, it's
being excreted in urine.  Many type 1s and some type 2s lose weight
 immediately prior to diagnoses because of this even though they may be eating
everything
in sight and drinking gallons of sugary liquids.  The hunger comes from the
glucose not getting into the cells so the cells are starving, and the thirst
 comes from the body's reaction to the poison of high BG - trying to flush it
out
of the system.

The question of insulin causing weight gain is very complicated.  Does the
insulin itself cause weight gain or  make it more difficult to lose, or is it
 that the insulin must be fed if too much is used or is it a combination of
both.

In type 2s, insulin resistance leads to the pancreas putting out more
 insulin, and this can pack on pounds long prior to a diabetes diagnosis (when
the
pancreas can keep up with demand), perhaps even from childhood.  It's when the
 pancreas can't keep up anymore that the type 2 slips into frank diabetes, and
if
that doesn't get diagnosed for a while, the BG will continue ot average
higher and higher, and weight loss might occur.

I lost 10 lbs in the year prior to diagnosis even though I was drinking a
gallon of sweetened iced tea every day and eating large amounts of food.

Stacey