Re: [IP] Life of the privileged

Just to be clear, this weight loss occurred before I was diagnosed and I
didn't know I was diabetic.  I thought it was my new job which kept me on my
feet all day, and switching to a new, low-dose birth control pill after
years on a higher one.  Initially I was loosing the weight slowly, 5 pounds
in 6 months, which progressed to a pound a week.  Towards "the end" is when
I started eating whatever I wanted because I was hungry all the time.  Ice
cream, which I previously never kept in the house, became a staple.  I
remember one night, just a couple of weeks before diagnosis, eating a large
corned beef sandwich before going to bed.  Since my husband and I had eaten
Mexican food for dinner, he said, "you can't possibly be hungry," but I was
starving.  We didn't know anything about diabetes and its symptoms.

BTW, I was seeing various doctors for other symptoms I was having, and not
one of them ever suggested a blood test.  I started having spotty periods,
was very fatigued, and shedding more hair which was dry and brittle.  Then I
developed a mysterious yeast infection on my neck and an abscess in my
breast (staff infection) which resulted in incision and drainage.  After the
surgery, I lost 5 pounds in 5 days and was nauseous all the time.  I thought
it was from the anesthesia, pain meds and antibiotics.  At that point I
could barely eat because I was so nauseous.  It was only at the constant
nagging of my sister to get a blood test that saved me.  She's the only one
who suspected D.

Shawna Nansel
T1 3/02, Pumping 8/02 Paradigm 511

From: "Cynthia VanDenBerge" <email @ redacted>