Re: [IP] prevalence of Type 1 diabetes in adults and children

I agree with you that proper treatment and a high standard of care are
important in diagnosing type 1 diabetes.  Unfortunately, when it comes to
care and proper diagnosis, children do not fare much better than adults.
Children are often diagnosed very late.  Just go to
www.jonathoncopper.org
to see the story of a little boy who was diagnosed December 30th and is
still laying in a coma.  This story is all too common.  Children die in this
country because their symptoms are not connected.  My own son was diagnosed
in DKA.  We are lucky he lived through that awful night.  And our story is
not unusual.  I've spoken to many parents who took their children to the
pediatrician repeatedly being told the problem was anything from a urinary
tract infection to the flu.  I've even spoken to parents who specifically
asked that their sick child be checked for diabetes only to be refused.

I haven't spoken to a single expert in the field who agrees with your
statement that more adults develop type 1 diabetes than children and I have
been unable to find any data to support that claim.  Although, in my mind it
really doesn't matter.  JDRF's function is to raise funds to put toward
research toward finding a cure for type 1 diabetes and its complications.
It doesn't matter what age you are.  If you have type 1 diabetes, JDRF is
working for you.

Marisa