RE: [IP] Do I need a wakeup call or what?

Good morning Lee Ann, Reality calling.

You are a diabetic, you may or may not have complications, I would
definitely consider yourself different from your non-D friends,
unfortunately you and I are.

As for your Endo, I admire his optimism, and he may know more than we do,
However, in my opinion I think that technology (pumps for one) will help
Us control this mess and make life a lot more normal. As for a cure,
There may be one, but I think there will be some side affects to contend
with.

I don't think you have a death sentence, but unfortunately you are different
In so many ways.

jimb

 As a type I diabetic for 8 years, I've never been very clear on how
concerned I
should be about what's to come. As many have explained on this board of
late,
whether or not I'll end up with complications depends not only on how well I
manage my sugars, but also on genetics. (Neither of which gives me any
certainty
regarding what's to come.)

 Admittedly, time doesn't often allow me to scour every IP digest that comes
through, but the general impression I get as I scan them is that it's only a
matter of time before I start falling apart. (Am I misinterpreting the
remarks
that I find here?)

 Nearly a year ago, I signed on with my current endo--very competent, very
optimistic. (Can he possibly be both?) As he was checking my feet during
that
initial visit, I made a comment about not having any complications "yet." He
quickly corrected me, assuring me that I needn't ever experience them--what
with
advances in technology and medicine.... He assured me that, one way or
another,
a cure is just around the corner. He's an educated guy, but I don't gather
from
many who post here that you share his view.

 At this point, diabetes doesn't feel like a death sentence to me. Yes, I
have
to be concerned with things (like testing, bolusing, planning and
correcting)
that others needn't ever consider... But I don't see myself as being all
that
different from my non-D friends and family. Am I living in la-la land?

If so, could somebody please give me a wakeup call?

~Lee Ann