RE: [IP] IOB Question

If you as stated arrive at 85 with a goal of 120 2 hours later, I think you
need to consider the insulin on board at that time. It should be about 40%
of what you took. Given that you need to correct it with Gtabs or food, as
It is still working. However you also have to consider the 85 and eat to
bring yourself up to the 120...  Did I make sense with this...?????

jimb

>I have been reading these e-mails for a couple of weeks now but I am
confused
>about IOB.
>
>I understand the concept of Insulin on Board, but isn't that insulin there
>because of a previous meal that it's there for ? So if you need more
insulin
>for more carb's shouldn't you not worry about the IOB.

That's exactly the way it works if you are above your BG target.  But
suppose  your target's 120 and you are at 85 two hours after a meal.
You still have IOB from the meal bolus, but assuming it was a normal
meal and not something like pizza you are probably dropping and
should eat something.  My problem is that with the IOB subtracted
only from the correction portion of the bolus, the IOB is totally
ignored if you try to bolus for that snack.  So you have to figure
the correction snack very carefully and NOT bolus for it.
--
Sue Ann Bowling, North Pole, Alaska