[IP] type 2 and complications

I have a good friend who is already having symptoms of neuropathy only
one year after being diagnosed with type 2. All of my diabetes
experience is with our daughter and type 1 so I can't answer her
questions.

Her last HbA1C was 6 so being diagnosed with neuropathy was quite a
shock. I asked her if there was a chance she has had type 2 longer than
one year - maybe she was undiagnosed for awhile. She says she has had
regular blood tests for a number of years and is sure she didn't have
type 2 before one year ago. She is having numbness and tingling in her
fingers and feet.

Can anyone with more knowledge of type 2 explain this? Is it possible
to have complications one year after diagnosis?

Kay