[IP] Stacking Corrections

Bob Wrote:
I am finding that IOB is not a sufficient solution. When I'm having
difficulty with control, it's generally because I'm having additional
glucose from steroids or infection (or sometimes incorrect carb
counts). Often when I correct, I'll check back an hour or two later,
and find I'm
*higher*.

Does anyone else do anything like this, or have alternatives for when
simple correction doesn't work? (Besides always having the right basal,
that is! ;)

Ricardo Responds:
RoseLea recently wrote a post that reminded us that there are many
variables besides carbs that affect our insulin requirements. The one
variable we compensate for the best is carbs and at times just
measuring the carbs and plugging the numbers into our pumps is
sufficient to keep our BG in range. But there are so many times that
the numbers just don't add up to give us the expected results. Diabetes
is a complex disease which sometimes requires customized solutions

I have been a diabetic almost 38 years and my best control came when I
realized that so much of its management was an art and not a science.
Better control also came when I promoted myself to CEO of my medical
care in spite of some objections from my medical team.

Your method is unconventional and may not work for everyone but I say
you may have found something that works for you. I would still get
opinions from your Doctor and/ or CDE. If they cannot give you a valid
reason why your method should not be working as well as it is for you
or they cannot suggest an alternative that gives better results while
accounting for your steroid use, I would keep on doing as you do. Along
with a lot of testing to make sure you stay on track.

Ricardo
Dx'd 1967, Pumping since 1/14/2004 w/ Animas IR1000 and since 7/2/2004
w/ the Animas IR1200