Re: Re: [IP] prevalence of Type 1 diabetes in adults and children

> From: email @ redacted

> Here are some interesting articles I found to use in my thesis that talks
>  about prevalence and also about GLOBAL occurences. An interesting factor to
> know
> is that the UA is ranked #3 behind India and China in the number of people
> with diabetes.
>
> Just interesting facts............
>
> Global Prevalence of Diabetes
>        http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/474956_print
>
> National Diabetes Statistics
>        http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/statistics/index.htm
>
> Sylvia
> mom to Joshua and anxiously awaiting news about my thesis..........UUGGHH!!!

 Makes sense, since your figures are going by total population. What's really is
telling is incidence of diabetes per 100,000 population. One such chart is on
page 41 (or thereabouts) of this document:
http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/america/pdf/chapter3.pdf.

 You can get worldwide stats from, I believe, the World Health Organization, but
I couldn't find it offhand. When you calculate incidence per a specific number
of people, rather than total population, it evens the playing field. Finland and
Sardinia have, historically, had the highest number of cases of type 1 diabetes
per 100,000 population.

Jan and ElvisToo